Church of St. Francis Xavier
Erected 1918.(ref: Catholic Diocese of Vasai)
This is a relatively new church built in the early 20th century for the Catholics of Giriz who were till hen parishioners of the vast parish of St. Thomas, Sandor and Out Lady of Mercy, Merces. The Archbishop of Damaun recognized the hardship faced by the people of Giriz in attending services at St. Thomas, Sandor and Merces especially during monsoons.
A new church was commissioned and the foundation laid on Feb. 14th , 1917. The construction that was completed a year later in 1918 was built by the village folk themselves “without foreign aid”. The church completed, Giriz became and independent parish with Fr. Augusto D’Souza who had supervised the construction of the church from inception, as the first parish priest.
In 1968 the church and parish celebrated it’s Golden Jubilee. The vicar Fr. Francis Gratian Monteiro built a porch and the Marshal Pereira Community Hall to accommodate the growing population of Catholics. In 1977, the Vicar Fr. Dominic Pereira built a spacious extension of the Church and a new parochial house on the first floor both with German and diocesan aid and in May 1981 the two spires of the church were replaced by new ones.
Giriz, P. O. Vasai, Dist. Thane 401 201
Tel: 0250 – 2322808
Go to: HOMEPAGE