Church of St. Roque
Erected in 1943 (ref: Catholic Diocese of Vasai)
History can safely record that this parish was founded as a result of a promise made to St. Roque by the people of Gokhivare. In 1914 the village was severely affected by an epidemic of cholera. The Catholics made a vow to build a chapel in honor of St. Roque.
Two hundred villagers kept their promise and built a 40’ by 18’ structure to which the Archibishop Lima added a 18’ by 15 Sancury. On June 30, 1930, the Dean of South Bassein blessed the chapel, which was still under the jurisdiction of St, Micheal, Manickpur.
Gokhivare got its independent parish in 1943 with Father Nubiola S. J as the first parish priest. The parish stayed under the care of the Jesuits, except for the brief period between 1968-71 when Fr. Servulo Vaz, a secular priest was the Vicar.
In 1990 the church was extended on the Northern side. However with large migration of Catholics of Mumbai to Vasai, this parish now requires extension to the church or even a division of the parish may become necessary.
Gokhivare, Vasai Rd. (E), Dist Thane 401 208 Tel: 0250 2462697
Email: [email protected]
The old Church
The Church what it should look like when completed
Go to: HOMEPAGE