Church of St. Mary Magdalene
Erected 1945 (ref: Catholic Diocese of Vasai)
The reason for the birth of this parish is similar to those of many other parishes in Bassein. Mulgaon; a part of the parish of the Mother of God, Palle, was three kilometers away. Bad roads and poor transport, especially during the monsoon months, made it extremely difficult to attend services at Palle.
The formation of this parish can be attributed to the efforts of Fr. J. S. Miranda and Fr. Raymond Menzes, both the Vicars of Palle. In 1942 Fr. Miranda bought a plot in Mulgaon to which Father Mendes procured a larger piece of Land in 1944 and a primary school was started in Nantiwadi.
A small shed – chapel was built and on July 22, 1945, the feast of St. Mary Magdalene. A new parish was born with Father Ayres Fernandes as the new parish priest.
In the absence of a parochial house in Mulgaon from 1945 to 1949, the parish priests were residing at Our Lady of Grace, Papdy. However in 1949 Fr. Vincent D’Souza began residing in the parochial house he had constructed, attached to the church.
Between 1956 and 1967, while Fr. Clement de Sa was the parish Priest, the primary school building was erected and on November 13, 1963, the foundation stone for the new church was laid. Cardinal Gracias blessed the church, which was completed the new church, which was completed with donations from the parishioners as well as the donors.
Father de Sa died while distributing Communion in this church on Nov. 13, 1963.
In 1966, His Eminence Valerian Cardinal Gracias consecrated the new church and a dream of Mulgaon was fulfilled.
His Lordship bishop Thomas Dabre, presided over the Parish Golden Jubilee celebrations on 12th Nov. 1995 Rev. Fr. John D’Silve was the Parish Priest.
Mulgaon, Vasai, Dist. Thane 401 201
Tel: 0250 232 2569
Email: [email protected]
Go to: HOMEPAGE